Malley ’20 records her first goal in women’s hockey win over Colby

Timary Malley ’20 scored the first goal of her Hamilton career (Josh McKee photo)
Timary Malley ’20 scored the first goal of her Hamilton career (Josh McKee photo)

The Hamilton College women's hockey team defeated Colby College 4-0 on Saturday afternoon at Russell Sage Rink to complete the two-game sweep over the Mules.

After the weekend action, the Continentals (4-2, 4-0 NESCAC) sit on top of the NESCAC standings as the only undefeated team in conference play.

Michaela Giuttari '20 scored the eventual game-winner 7:28 into the opening period. Taegan Blackwell '19 fired a shot from the right point that went off the blocker of Colby's net-minder Cierra San Roman and into the corner. Andrea Rockey '19 gathered the loose puck, skated around the Colby goal and found Giuttari in the slot for a one-timer inside the right post.

Nearly eight minutes later, Rockey notched her own goal to give Hamilton a 2-0 edge at the end of the first 20 minutes. Missy Segall '21 controlled the puck to the right of San Roman and passed to Mairead Carey '18 at the top of the faceoff circle. Carey ripped a shot into San Roman's pads but Rockey was there to stuff the rebound across the goal line.

Hamilton added its third goal halfway through the second period with 17 seconds left on a power play. Segall won the faceoff to the right of San Roman as Hamilton moved the puck around the perimeter to Giuttari on the left side. Giuttari passed to Segall in the slot and she tipped the puck into a Colby defender. Segall sped to the loose puck and fired a backhander over the shoulder of San Roman.

Timary Malley '20 recorded the first goal of her Hamilton career 9:18 into the third period. Colby (1-4-1, 0-3-1) was attempting to break out of their own zone when Alayna Trice '20 poked the puck away from the defender right to Malley's stick. Malley went top shelf for the breakaway goal.

Sam Walther '18 helped the Continentals pick up the shutout by making a game-high 20 stops. Walther denied a one-timer off a pass from behind the net with 2:05 left in the second to maintain the 3-0 lead at the second intermission. Walther came up big again while Hamilton was shorthanded 6:27 into the third, making five saves in less than two minutes.

Sammy Johnson '20 relieved Walther with 10:42 remaining and made two saves to maintain the shutout.

Hamilton visits SUNY Oswego (5-6 overall) for a non-conference game on Friday, Dec. 8 at 7 p.m.