The Hamilton College Continentals posted a 9-0 victory against the Haverford College Fords at Harvard University in the Conroy Cup (D Division) quarterfinals of the 2020 College Squash Association National Men's Team Championships on Friday morning.
Hamilton won for the sixth time in its last seven matches and the Continentals evened their record at 10-10. Hamilton is the No. 2 seed in the division while Haverford (10-7) is the No. 7 seed. The Continentals will take on sixth-seeded Chatham University in one of the semifinals at 9 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 29 back at Harvard. Hamilton edged Chatham 5-4 on Jan. 12 at Franklin & Marshall College.
Tate Suratt '23, who was selected for the all-NESCAC team on Thursday, picked up his ninth win after he fought off his opponent in three close games at the first position. Callum Sondhi '20 outlasted his opponent in five exciting games at the second position and collected the 36th triumph of his collegiate career. Rufus Somerby '22 finished off an otherwise tense match with an anti-climactic 11-3 decision in the fifth game at the third position.
Tristan Chaix '20 matched Sondhi with 36 career victories by sweeping his opponent at the fourth position. Aaron Hadar '23 was one of three Continentals who won for the 10th time this season after he prevailed in four games at the fifth position. Nicholas Conzelman '20 dropped his first game but won the next three convincingly at the sixth position.
Tripp Peters '23 and Oliver Constable '22 picked up their 10th wins after they swept their opponents at the seventh and ninth positions, respectively. William Jordan '20 was another three-game winner at the eighth position and leads the team with a 13-7 record.
No. 2 seed Hamilton 9, No. 7 seed Haverford 0
Conroy Cup (D Division) quarterfinal
2020 CSA National Men's Team Championships
Harvard University (Cambridge, Mass.)
Feb. 28, 2020
1. Tate Suratt (Ham) d. Davis Chase 3-0 (12-10, 11-9, 12-10).
2. Callum Sondhi (Ham) d. Quinton Ayres Crawford 3-2 (14-16, 14-12, 11-3, 10-12, 11-7).
3. Rufus Somerby (Ham) d. Wallace Miller 3-2 (12-10, 9-11, 7-11, 12-10, 11-3).
4. Tristan Chaix (Ham) d. James Dougherty 3-0 (11-8, 11-7, 11-7).
5. Aaron Hadar (Ham) d. Keil Reedich 3-1 (11-8, 9-11, 11-4, 11-5).
6. Nicholas Conzelman (Ham) d. John Collins 3-1 (9-11, 11-4, 11-9, 11-2).
7. Tripp Peters (Ham) d. Alden Weinberg 3-0 (11-6, 11-4, 13-11).
8. William Jordan (Ham) d. Khalil Walker 3-0 (11-6, 11-7, 11-8).
9. Oliver Constable (Ham) d. Nathan Wang 3-0 (11-5, 11-7, 11-6).
Ex. Jarrod Gerstein (Ham) d. Aaron Witkin 3-0 (11-6, 11-7, 11-8).
Records: Hamilton 10-10 overall; Haverford 10-7.