Men's hockey a 4-1 winner at No. 4 Trinity on the road in NESCAC play

Justin Felhaber '21 (Josh McKee photo)
Justin Felhaber '21 (Josh McKee photo)

Hamilton College scored four unanswered goals and the Continentals defeated the nationally ranked No. 4 Trinity College Bantams 4-1 in a NESCAC game played at Trinity's Albert Creighton Williams Rink on Saturday.

Hamilton (7-7-4, 6-4-2 NESCAC) is in third place in the conference standings just a half-game behind the Bantams with six games to go. Justin Felhaber '21 led the Continentals on offense with the second multi-goal game of his Hamilton career and his first two goals this season. Anthony Tirabassi '20 made 31 saves and has a 2.08 goals against average and .919 save percentage in nine NESCAC starts.

The Bantams (12-5-1, 7-4-1) lost their fourth consecutive game after dropping just one in their first 14. Trinity held a 32-29 edge in shots but gave the Continentals four power-play opportunities in the third period. Jonah Capriotti turned away 25 shots. 

Trinity scored the first goal with less than a second left in the first period. Taggart Corriveau dug the puck out of the left-wing corner with five seconds remaining in the period and threw a pass out in front. The puck found Michael Grande's stick with 1.3 seconds remaining and he managed to snap a shot into the back of the net that beat the buzzer.

Hamilton tied the score at 8:58 in the second. Cameron Radziwon '20 carried the puck from behind Hamilton's net up the left side of the ice to the offensive zone where he was checked into the wall. The puck slipped loose and the Bantams and Continentals fought for it before Fred Allaire '23 was able to break it free. Allaire carried the puck to the corner before throwing a pass behind him for Felhaber. Felhaber fired a precise shot on the short side in the smallest gap between Capriotti's shoulder and the post.

The game winner came with 1:05 to go in the second. Hamilton took control of the puck in their offensive zone and Sam Jones '20 fired a shot to the net from the left point. Jones' shot started a series of rebound attempts for the Continentals. Teddy Simson '21 tried to whack the puck into the net from the left side off the initial deflection, but that shot was also deflected away. Jon Beniers '21 finally took control in the crease and, after three tries, was able to poke the puck over the goal line.

The third period started with 4-on-4 play following a skirmish at the end of the second period that resulted in a roughing penalty for each team. Trinity's Dylan Healey interfered with Nick Ursitti '20 and gave Hamilton a power play a little more than a minute into the period. Felhaber scored his second of the game with 18 seconds left in the power-play chance. Sean Allen '21 stopped Trinity's attempt to clear the puck and fired a rocket from the blue line. Felhaber redirected the shot past Capriotti as it passed him in front of the net 2:48 into the third.

Hamilton sealed the deal on an empty-net goal with 1:34 left in the third. Hamilton was caught with too many men on the ice with 3:15 remaining and gave Trinity a chance to come back. During the power play the Bantams held the puck at center ice, but Sterling Bray '20 was able to knock it away and send it flying down the ice. He went after it and gained control again behind the net where he wrapped it around for a short-handed goal.

The Continentals return home on Friday, Feb. 7 for a NESCAC game against Bowdoin College at 7 p.m.

-- Recap by Amanda Ghiloni '22