Men's hockey skates to a NESCAC tie at No. 5/10 Trinity

Blayne Oliver '20 (Josh McKee photo)
Blayne Oliver '20 (Josh McKee photo)

The Hamilton College Continentals scored twice in the second period and battled to a 2-2 overtime tie against the Trinity College Bantams at Trinity's Williams Rink in NESCAC men's hockey action on Friday night.

Anthony Tirabassi '20 made a career-best 50 saves for Hamilton (3-1-1, 1-0-1 NESCAC).

Trinity (2-0-1 NESCAC) -- nationally ranked fifth by and tenth by – remains unbeaten with a 4-0-2 overall record.

The Bantams owned a 1-0 lead going into the first intermission. Trinity swung the puck around the boards to Nicholas Fiorentino behind Hamilton's net. Fiorentino sent a centering pass through the slot for a one-timer by Charlie Zuccarini. Tirabassi made the initial stop but Andy Chugg was at the back post and tucked away the rebound at 16:52.

Despite being outshot 14-6 in the second period, Hamilton entered the third with a 2-1 lead.

Blayne Oliver '20 put the Continentals on the scoreboard at 13:06. Jon Stickel '19 sped into the Bantams' zone for a one-on-one but his shot went wide right and the puck wrapped around the boards to Justin Felhaber '21 at the hash marks. Felhaber dropped the puck back to Oliver at the point and he snapped a shot through traffic and into the nylon for the first time in his Continentals career.

Jordi Jefferson '22 scored the go-ahead goal when he won the puck battle in the corner, to the right of Teddy Loughborough (23 saves), and sent a pass towards the front of the net. The puck deflected of a Trinity defender and crossed the goal line 37 seconds before the second intermission.

Fiorentino tied the score with the game's final goal with 10:09 remaining in regulation on a wrist shot that snuck under the crossbar. Barclay Gammill and Devin Moore assisted on the play.

Trinity had a 6-3 edge in shots during the overtime period and nearly won the game in the final seconds. Tirabassi made a huge save when Lucas Machaud tipped a waist-high shot from the top of the right circle. Machaud then attempted to stuff in the rebound but again Tirabassi stood his ground.

Hamilton stays on the road for another NESCAC game at Wesleyan University on Saturday, Dec. 1 at 3 p.m in Middletown, Conn.