The Alumni Gymnasium has served the Continentals since its construction was completed in 1940. The third athletic facility to serve the College, it was extensively renovated in 1978 to accommodate the expanded co-educational student body. Alumni Gymnasium follows the school’s first athletic facility, which was built in 1853 on what is now the site of Root Hall; and the former Middle College (now Kirkland Residence Hall), which was renovated in 1891 and renamed Soper Gymnasium after the Soper family, who was instrumental in providing the funds needed for the construction.
Alumni Gymnasium houses office space for coaches and administrators, as well as locker rooms and meeting facilities.
Named features of Alumni Gymnasium
Gene Long Men’s Track & Field Team Room (benefactor: Sharon Walker ’90 & Sean Epps ’91)
Lyons Family Women’s Track & Field Team Room (benefactors: Robert K. Lyons ’82 P’14 & Hannah M. Lyons ’14)
Richard A. Brown ’70 Visiting Team Room
Ernest H. Roberts ’13 Offices (benefactor: Bradley H. Roberts ’50)
Torcivia Family Baseball Team Room (benefactor: Joseph Torcivia P’12)
Christopher P. “Woody” Marshall '90 Team Room (benefactor: Meagan ’90 and Dan Nye '88)
Baker Conference Room (benefactor: Geraldine H. Baker & Francis F. Baker ’36; named for Francis F. Baker ’00)
Thomas McNaughton Johnston Office (benefactor: David E. Harden '48)
Vallely Conference Room (benefactor: Mark J. Vallely ’79)