The William Smith College Herons swept the doubles matches and posted a 6-3 non-conference win against the Hamilton College Continentals at William Smith's Bristol Field House on Wednesday.
Hamilton (3-8 overall) is 18th in the most recent Intercollegiate Tennis Association Division III Northeast Region Team Rankings. The Continentals host Amherst College -- eighth in the ITA Division III National Team Rankings -- for a NESCAC match on Sunday, April 22 at 11 a.m.
Hamilton earned its three team points by winning each of the top three singles flight matches. Jane Haffer '19 won the first set in a tiebreaker but cruised in the second set against Michaelann Denton in first flight action. Haffer picked up her third singles win this season and the 33rd of her career with the Continentals.
Sophia Aulicino '21 and Ajla Karabegovic '21 were easy winners at the second and third flights, respectively. Aulicino improved her singles record to 11-4 while Karabegovic evened her record at 10-10.
William Smith 6, Hamilton 3
1. Jane Haffer (HAM) d. Michaelann Denton 7-6 (7-4), 6-2.
2. Sophia Aulicino (HAM) d. Kate Foley 6-0, 6-2.
3. Ajla Karabegovic (HAM) d. Charlotte Engebrecht 6-1, 6-2.
4. Dina Rigas (WSC) d. Ndanu Mutisya 6-2, 6-0.
5. Alex Greenberg (WSC) d. Katherine McNally 6-1, 6-0.
6. Leland Barclay (WSC) d. Stefanie Chin 6-0, 6-1.
1. Denton/Rigas (WSC) d. Haffer/Aulicino 8-5.
2. Foley/Engebrecht (WSC) d. Mutisya/Karabegovic 8-7 (7-2).
3. Greenberg/Katelyn Nguyen (WSC) d. McNally/Chin 8-2.
Records: Hamilton 3-8 overall; William Smith 9-5.