Men's lacrosse edges Hartwick in non-conference action

Jack Gaul '18 (Josh McKee photo)
Jack Gaul '18 (Josh McKee photo)

Hamilton College's Jack Gaul '18 scored with 1:52 left in the fourth quarter and lifted the Continentals to an 11-10 non-conference win against the Hartwick College Hawks at Hartwick's Wright Stadium on Tuesday.

Hamilton (4-10 overall) won its sixth straight game against the Hawks as the teams played each other for the first time since 2008. The Continentals won three out of four contests against Empire 8 Conference teams this year.

Gaul finished with a career-high three goals. He also scored Hamilton's first goal and gave the Continentals a 4-1 lead midway through the second quarter.

Hamilton's Chris Conley '20 tied a season-best with four goals and posted a season-high five points. Clay McCollum '19 chipped in two goals and John Schisler '17 made 11 saves. McCollum leads the team with 25 goals and 32 points. Brock Bowers '20, Jack Warren '19 and Rob Arrix '19 scooped up four ground balls each and Warren won 10 of 21 faceoffs.

Sam Ferguson paced the Hartwick offense with two goals and an assist. Garrison Wojtas collected 12 ground balls and caused four turnovers. Brett Maguire scored twice, Jake Sachse tallied a goal and an assist and David Demand was credited with a pair of helpers. James Vogt won 14 of 24 faceoffs. Connor O'Brien started in goal and recorded six saves before C.J. Alesandrini relieved him at the start of the fourth quarter. Alesandrini stopped two shots and the only goal he allowed was Gaul's game-winner. The Hawks (6-5) have lost three in a row.

Gaul had picked up a ground ball after a Hartwick turnover with about 2:30 remaining. Hamilton's clear attempt was successful and Bowers found Gaul for the go-ahead goal. Hartwick won the ensuing faceoff and called a timeout with 1:36 to go. In the final 90 seconds there were three shots by the Hawks, a turnover by each team and a penalty on the Continentals for unnecessary roughness with 46 seconds left. A Hartwick shot was blocked and controlled by Schisler with about 20 seconds remaining, Hamilton cleared the ball into their offensive zone and the Continentals ran out the last 10 seconds. The Hawks scored just once in six man-up opportunities.

Gaul and Sachse traded goals in the first quarter and the score was tied 1-1 after the opening 15 minutes. Hamilton opened the second quarter with four straight goals, including two by McCollum, and owned a 5-1 advantage with 6:49 to go. Hartwick forged two ties at 1-1 and 10-10 but never led. Maguire beat the halftime horn with a goal and pulled the Hawks within 5-2 at the break.

The third quarter was the Chris Conley show as he registered all five of his points during the period. His third goal of the day with 7:02 left in the quarter gave the Continentals their largest cushion of five goals at 8-3. Hartwick cut its deficit to two at 8-6 with 4:21 remaining after three goals in just 55 seconds, but Conley scored unassisted and then fed Connor Crutchfield '17 for his first career goal with 1:56 to go. Hamilton's lead was back up to four goals at 10-6 after three.

The Continentals were forced to hold off a furious rally by the Hawks in the last quarter. Hartwick pulled within 10-9 on three goals in the first five minutes of the fourth and then tied the score on a goal by Cordell Armstrong with 3:50 left.

Hamilton wraps up its season with a NESCAC contest against Trinity College on Saturday, April 22 at 1 p.m. The Continentals will recognize their 10 seniors on Steuben Field that day.